Thursday, November 7, 2013

#384...repurposed denim chair

My parent's bought this chair in 1972 when they were first married. It came to live in my house recently and has a prominent spot in my dining room.
While the gold chenille fabric is wonderfully vintage, it was worn and brittle in some spots, and needed to be recovered.
Tyler had the idea that we should cover it in denim. I took it one step further and decided we should cover it in reclaimed denim from old pairs of jeans. I collected several pairs of denim from the Goodwill in varying shades of blue. I spent about 5 hours cutting up the pants and sewing them into a fabric that the upholsterer could use for the chair. Unfortunately, I forgot to take a picture of the pieced denim fabric I made before taking it to be upholstered.
Here is the finished chair back from the upholstery shop. It's quirky, and I really like it.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is super-awesome & inspiring! The piping on the edge adds so much to the cushion. Thanks for sharing your creativity....