Wednesday, October 20, 2010

#250...spicey birthday

For Tyler's birthday this year, I decided to organize our spices. (Last year, I made him these oil pourers). The spices were formerly housed in our pull-out pantry; however, all the bottles were crowded in and he could never find what he was looking for.....which is why I found multiples of all sorts of strange spices when cleaning them out.

 spices before in pantry

My plan was to move them to a drawer in our new kitchen cabinet. I wanted to label the tops of the spices, so that it would be easy for him to reach in and grab what he needed. I thought long and hard about buying matching little spice jars for the drawer, but the idea of moving tiny powders from one bottle to another nixed that idea, and I just ended up using my handy Dymo letra labelmaker to label the tops of the bottles. It took me about an hour to complete this project, and I think it is going to make a world of difference to my chef!
spices in drawer after




3 comments:

Tracy said...

Nice job on the spices! One of the pluses of our new apartment is the spice cabinet above the stove. It's a really narrow cabinet with 4 shelves in it. Maybe it's narrow because the vent runs behind it? Anywho, I am sure it was designed as a spice rack. So, I have it loaded up with all of my spices and am able to easily grab any of them while cooking. It's pretty cool! Hope you are both well!

the dowiaks said...

love it!!

The Robertsons of Mumbai said...

Funny - I did the exact same thing a while back! We moved this summer and don't have a pantry, so I had to put things in drawers. Simply Organic and Whole Foods brands of spices have labels already printed on the tops of the jar lids. From now on I am going to try to buy those brands...